March 2, 2021
In light of Governor Abbott’s announcement yesterday, the Downtown District will continue to require staff, including Downtown Public Safety Guides and Street Team Members, to wear masks and socially distance at all times. The lifting of restrictions does not apply to public transportation or city and federal buildings and venues. Please note that the public must also comply with any protocols and/or guidelines in place at private properties. This includes office buildings, hotels, restaurants and bars (which will be allowed to reopen on March 10). The percentage of COVID cases in Harris County has been decreasing; we strongly encourage everyone to continue wearing masks and to social distance. Our goal is for the continued safety and health of our employees and our friends who live, work, do business and visit Downtown.
The following will be in place until further notice:
- The District offices are open; all staff working in open areas will be on a staggered schedule and always accessible by email, text and mobile phone
- All Downtown District produced and/or sponsored events are being evaluated. Some events, such as movies at Market Square Park will occur under the City of Houston outdoor, public event guidelines.
- Due to actions taken by Governor Abbott related to open meetings to maintain government transparency, board of directors’ meetings and board committee meetings will be virtual and/or teleconferencing, as needed, and will continue to be open to the public
Essential public space services provided by our entities will continue, including:
- Off-duty HPD contractors
- S.E.A.L. private security
- Downtown Safety Guide patrol
Cleaning & Maintenance
- Trash removal from receptacles
- Curbside Trash Program
- Sidewalk/bus stop cleaning of hotspots as needed
- Market Square Park cleaning and maintenance
- Tree watering (for non-irrigated areas)
- Mowing and trimming
- Twice weekly cleaning of Chartres and Hamilton encampments (contingent on HPD support)
- Maintain portacan and handwash stations at current frequencies
Streetscape General Conditions
- Observation of streescape fixtures and maintenance or repairs as needed: lights, banners, planters, irrigation, trees, etc.
- Bagby Street Improvement Project continues under essential critical infrastructure
- Pre-construction work on new Southern Downtown Park at 1515 Fannin
We will continue to keep you informed; if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Just a reminder, a link to available resources can be found on our Central Houston and Downtown Houston websites.
For the most up-to-date information on COVID-19, please visit www.houstonemergency.org/covid19 and www.readyharris.org or contact the Houston Health Department’s call center at 832-393-4220.